A very quick post as I continue to read through my school story, as told through my report cards and transcripts.
From the front and back of my kindergarten report card, 1963/64:
OUR GOAL IN EDUCATION:
Because a child is composed of a body and a soul he is a PERSON. As a PERSON he has special attributes to be developed. These are intellectual and emotional, physical, social, artistic and spiritual. These different aspects of life are not nicely cut off from each other, but inter-penetrate to form one’s complete personality. The best education is that which aims to develop the WHOLE MAN.
We should all make sure that no aspect of the child’s personality is under-developed. (Words in UPPER CASE letters appear as such in the original text)
HOW PARENTS MAY CO-OPERATE
- By providin for your child plenty of sleep—12 hours (7 o’clock bedtime).
- By developing habits of regularity (!) and personal cleanliness.
- By providing well balanced meals.
- By providing clothes, rubbers and galoshes which are easily managed by him in dressing and undressing.
- By marking your child’s name on clothes and galoshes.
TO THE PARENT
A pupil is required to bring a note from home explaining absence or lateness.
Punctual and regular attendance is absolutely necessary for progress.